Convict Penitentiary Chapel Historic Site - Guided Tour
- Duration: 90 Minutes
- Location: Hobart, Tasmania
GUIDED TOUR INCLUDING
PANDEMONIUM THE CONVICT FILM EXPERIENCE
This guided tour experience brings visitors into one of the most significant convict precincts in Australia.
Our volunteer guides will provide an insight into the history of this multi-layered site.
This unique building, constructed in 1831, has been a prison, a church and a courtroom.
This 90-minute guided visitor experience includes being led through the convict-made tunnels, being able to experience first-hand a solitary confinement cell and viewing of the gallows.
The tour includes the viewing of the immersive audio-visual film Pandemonium projected on the walls and ceiling in an original chapel.
The film goes to the heart of Tasmania’s dark past, contextually connecting to the convict sites around the state and exploring the journey from conviction to transportation and beyond our convict ancestors.
The Hobart Convict Penitentiary was built in 1821 for the growing number of convicts coming to Van Diemens Land.
0ver 40,000 men ate, prayed, slept, and were punished at this site.
CURRENT TOUR TIMES:
Wednesday - Sunday
10 AM, 11:30 AM, 1 PM, 2:30 PM
Terms & Conditions of Entry
- Practice social distancing
- Use safe hygiene practices
- Please do not visit if you are feeling unwell
- Prebook your visit wherever possible
- Pandemonium is exempt from classification, however, it does
feature some graphic historical content and It is recommended that parents and
or guardians enquire about the Pandemonium experience's specific content,
before deciding whether the material is suitable for their child.
- Disabled access is very limited due to the historic nature
of the building:
Narrow steps to tunnels and uneven floors.
- Flat access to the Chapel is available if requested, please inform Front of House staff if you require this assistance.
- Refunds will only be provided if the tour doesn't go ahead.
We will try to accommodate a change of date and time whenever possible.