Hobart Penitentiary - Ghost Tour 2023-24
- Duration: 90 Minutes
- Location: Hobart, Tasmania
What stories will the lost souls whisper to you on the night?
The Hobart Convict Penitentiary was the dark heart of the convict system in Tasmania.
Built as convict prisoners' barracks for Hobart Town it originally spanned over two acres and some 40,000 male convicts passed through the complex. Following the cessation of convict transportation, the site became Hobart Goal that saw sections of the chapel converted into two courts connected by tunnels, with an execution yard and gallows added to the site.
Some tour the Hobart Convict Penitentiary after dark and hear the stories of those that experienced Heaven and Hell in the Chapel and the solitary cells beneath from the 1830's; those that were sentenced for their crimes in the courtrooms for over one hundred years until the 1980's; the lives that were ended at the Gallows, and the spirits that remain haunting every wall today.
Pick up your lantern and join the 90 minute tour as we tell you tales of the convicts and prisoners who have walked this space for nearly two hundred years.
Ages 12+ only. While this tour is family-friendly, some content and experiences are not recommended for children under the age of 12. Please consider whether this experience is suitable for your family before booking.
Please Be Aware:
- Bookings close two (2) hours prior to session start.
- Minimum two (2) Participants for the tours to go ahead.
- Disabled access is very limited and flat shoes are recommended due to the historic nature of the building including steep narrow steps and uneven stone floors.
- Please ensure the correct tour date and time have been selected prior to booking as refunds will only be provided if the tour is cancelled by the operator. We will try to accommodate a change of date whenever possible.
Terms & Conditions:
To ensure the safety of our staff and other visitors, guests that arrive under any form of intoxication will be refused entry and forfeit their payment.
The National Trust Australia (Tasmania) & Stacey's Ghost & Paranormal Tours reserve the right to, remove or decline access to, any persons engaging in or intending disruptive behaviour.
Please check the calendar for current availability or
Contact the tour operator - Stacey’s Ghost and Paranormal Tours on:
P: 0403 995 448
We are also available for specialised group bookings, school tours, and venue hire.