Penitentiary Chapel Ghost Tour
- Duration: 90 Minutes
This guided ghost tour provides after-dark access through the courts and tunnels to the chapel, cells and gallows of one of Australia’s most significant convict sites.
Immerse yourself in a chilling place of Tasmanian criminal history, that's only a short walk from Hobart CBD.
The Hobart Convict Penitentiary site, often known as the 'Tench' to it's inhabitants, was the convict prisoners' barracks for Hobart Town. It originally spanned over two acres and some 50,000 male convicts passed through the complex. Following the cessation of convict transportation, the site became Hobart Gaol for more than 100 years. Sections of the chapel were converted into two Supreme Courts connected by tunnels to the gaol. An execution yard and gallows were added. This fascinating history can still be discovered in the buildings which remain - a captivating insight into over 175 years of Hobart’s shadier past.
TOUR TIMESMonday and Friday at 9:00pm (8:00pm in Winter)
Tour length: 90 minutes
Please check calendar for current availabilities
- STRICTLY 15+.
- No bags permitted.
- A minimum of six (6) participants is required for this tour to run.
- Please provide a mobile number so that we can contact you in the event of a cancellation.
- Refunds will only be provided if the tour doesn't go ahead. We will try to accommodate change of date and time whenever possible.
- Disabled access very limited due to historic nature of building including narrow steps to tunnels and uneven floors.
- To ensure the safety of our staff and customers, guests which arrive under any form of intoxication will be refused entry and forfeit their payment.